Friday, May 25, 2007

Vive le Giro!

No, The Giro is not something the government gives to people without a job.

The Giro Italia to give its full name is a bike race. It's the Italian equivalent of the Tour de France.

And today, for some reason it passed through Briancon, which is in France....which isn't Italy...but maybe they have a shortage of maps...Hey who cares? the Tour de France starts in England this year...

Briancon is also hosting the Dauphine Libere and Le Tour this year. The town officials are going for the title of Capitale Modiale du Velo 2007. Which means that its the best place in the world to be a cyclist...

Even the graffiti is bike related....


Fortunately your reporter on the ground was taking photo's of the sprint to the finish...




I should mention that these pictures are deceiving. These roads were incredibly steep. I rode up this road before the race....and despite my leg muscles being very similar to this guys...he raced 100 other riders up the hill...where as I had to get off and push...


I reckon its something to do with them all being giants!


I think this bike used to belong to Jan Ulrich

(this is a smug cycling joke that only roadies will understand)

1 comment:

Fiwibabe said...

Wait - have I learned something after being with you for seven looooonnnnnggg years. Didn't Jan ride that poncy pink bike for T-Mobile in the Tour de France? And don't you own the same bike? See, I know more than just which shoes are in style this season :-)